Saturday, February 27, 2010

The omnivore collector



Now it is time to reveal my 'project': It is all about collecting. Mmm where do I start?
Tijd om mijn project te onthullen: het gaat over verzamelen. Mmm waar te beginnen? Ik zet de rest van de Nederlandse vertaling onderaan deze post.
When I started this blog, one of the things I wanted to do is showing my collections. And I did! I have the feeling that there is no challenge or show and tell that I cannot face. This autumn I thought I had about enough collections in my house and started collections of photographs. I showed you a part of my door knocker photo collection and I told you that I also had a collection of photos of numbers on houses and a collection of photos of letter slots.

letter slot ^('brieven' means letters)

Next I thought it would be fun to show you the home numbers, so that you could use those photo's in your craft work. Let's say a calender...but to show you 31 numbers quite clear in one post wouldn't be a good idea...and to put them in a mosaic...mmm I don't think it is easy to use the photos for a craft project when they are in a mosaic. In the mean time I discovered Lisa Congdon's blog 'A collection a day'. Lisa photographs or draws one of her collections each day of 2010:



Like this^. This is my photo, but this is how it works, though I think Lisa's collections start at about 5.
Now to put one and one together: I am planning to make a blogpost every day in March which will contain a house number and a photo of one of my collections, the collection will have as many items as the house number. We start with: Number 1 at March 1st and a collection of one item. I will end at March 31st with a collection of 31 items. I will try to show you collections that you haven't seen yet on my blog.

Lisa Congdon's blog is almost without text, apart from the name of the items shown, which is interesting, but just not me.

My blogposts will look like this:

Blog title, in this case: A collection of four:

a house number:


a corresponding number of items; together they are a collection:



And every day the same questions, but obviously different answers:

What? Cannisters filled with sewing supplies.
How many?
I have these 4 different ones, but a lot of nr. ones (counting from left to right) in different colors.
Why? I just love anything mini, that is of good quality, these are quite handy! I inherited nr. 4 from my mother. Number 2 and 3 are presents from my bff Mrs. H. And I bought a lot of nr. ones twice in Belgium.
First: Inherited the silver nr. four in March 2003.
Last: bought some pink plastic number 1's last Summer.
Now what? I would love to have more of these, they hardly take any place (they are about 2"). I'll try to trade or sell the plastic ones.
Anything else? Yes:


This is what is inside the cannisters.



The wooden bobbins in nr. 2 are only half an inch.

What is the reason for these blogposts ? It is just for fun. As my kind of collecting is just for fun too. I will try to squeeze some regular posts in between. About once or twice a week. I do hope you will like to see what collecting means to me. I hope too that it inspires you to comment and to take a closer look at your collections.
What do you think? Hope to see you March 1st! xoxo LiLi M.

And now a Dutch translation:

En dan hier de Nederlandse vertaling:
Hallo weer, ik heb een projectje gemaakt van mijn verzamelingen. Toen ik aan mijn blog begon leek het me al leuk om mijn verzamelingen te laten zien, dat schreef ik al in mijn eerste post. En dat heb ik ook gedaan! Ik heb het gevoel dat er geen 'laat me je ...verzameling zien' in blogland is waar ik niet aan mee kan doen. Dit najaar ben ik ook met foto verzamelingen begonnen. Ik liet jullie al een aantal van mijn deurklopper foto's zien. Nu wilde ik verder gaan met de huisnummer foto's. Inmiddels ontdekte ik de blog van Lisa Congdon, a collection a day. Die blog inspireerde mij. Nu leek het mij leuk om gedurende de maand maart elke dag een verzameling te laten zien. Wel wil ik hier mijn eigen draai aan geven: Iedere dag een huisnummer, het nummer van de datum en dan een verzameling, bestaande uit zoveel items als de datum. De blog van Lisa heeft geen tekst, maar dat is nix voor mij. Ik zal iedere dag dezelfde vragen beantwoorden, een voorbeeld:



Wat? Kokertjes met naaibenodigdheden.
Hoeveel? Ik heb deze 4 verschillende, maar de van eerste (van links naar rechts) een aantal in verschillende kleuren.
Waarom? Ik hou van 'mini's, zeker als ze nog bruikbaar zijn ook. Ik erfde nr. 4, nummer 2 en 3 heb ik cadeau gekregen van mijn bff Mrs. H.
Eerste? De zilveren nummer 4 van mijn ouders geërfd in 2003.
Laatste? Een aantal plastic roze nummer 1's heb ik afgelopen zomer gekocht.
En nu? Ik zou deze verzameling nog best willen uitbreiden, de kokertjes nemen vrijwel geen plaats in (ze zijn ongeveer 5 cm. groot) en handig. De plastic kokertjes wil ik ruilen of verkopen.
Anders nog iets? Als je naar de bovenstaande foto's kijkt zie je ook nog de inhoud van de kokertjes en de piepkleine houten klosjes (1 cm!).

Waarom deze blogposten? Gewoon voor de lol! Omdat ik het verzamelen niet kan laten! Ik zal proberen 1 à 2 keer in de week nog een reguliere post eruit te persen. Misschien kan iemand de nummers 1 tot en met 31 gebruiken voor een kalender. Ik hoop dat mijn 'verzamelingen' jullie inspireren en reacties oproepen, misschien dat je je eigen verzameling(en) met andere ogen gaat bekijken.
Wat denken jullie er van? Ik hoop jullie 1 maart hier weer te zien, tot dan, xoxo LiLi M.

30 comments:

Caroline said...

Heerlijk al die foto's en je verhaaltjes erbij, ik ga me al verheugen op meer :-) En die 38 trok gelijk mijn aandacht, ik zag hem verschijnen in mijn blogroll en ... het is mijn huisnummer !

Erica said...

I saw your comment on Lisa's blog, I'd like to do a set of collections too but am having trouble deciding which format I like so I came to see yours, it's very interesting, I'm looking forward to following you through March.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Lili! You are the most well-organized and interesting collector of some of the most rare objects! I would have never thought of the things that you display, but once I see them, I see the beauty in them all! All your wares are intact and in such good condition!!! I love your world, Lili!

Bisous, Anita

kayellen said...

Such fun treasures you have:)
Have a wonderful weekend!

Smiles,
Kay Ellen

Beth Leintz said...

Lili- What a great idea. Love your sewing collection- of course. Have you ever heard these called "etuis"- or maybe that is just a crossword puzzle word for sewing kit.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Oh Lili, this is going to be SO much fun!!!! I cannot wait to see all of your collections and I am looking forward to the keen way you will be presenting them!!!! This is so unique and fun too!!!!
I'll be waiting for March 1st
:)

The French Bear said...

Lovely, you take collecting to the next level, so interesting!!! I love the sewing goodies, precious!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Pink Princess said...

LEUK!! Ik kijk er naar uit, bijvoorbeeld wat je bij 19 (mijn huisnummer) en bij 31 hebt lol.

Groetjes van Marian

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

What a super idea, LiLi! I'm so looking forward to seeing your collections! I know you have a lot of treasures and it will be wonderful to check them all out.
Have a great Sunday!
Hugs,
Julia

June said...

I can't wait for this Lili! This will be so fun. Now I'm excited to see them all.
hugs

Anonymous said...

I collect numbers on houses as well, and doors :) Your cannisters's collection is beautiful! You have so many wonderful collections!
I wish you a lovely sunday! Lots of wind here... xo

Brigitta said...

Ik verheug me nu al op al die verzamelingen, maar wat een klus!!

liefs
Brigitta

Janine said...

wauw lili, ben jij actief en vol energie, eniggggggggggggg die kleine kokertjes, wist eerst niet wat het was, totdat je het uitlegde, ik heb ze nog nooi gezien, erg mooi hoor, en indd niet veel plaats innemend, dusssssssss ik zal mijn ogen eens open houden. :)))) veel succes meid met je voornemens, I'll be back. :)))) doeiii leifs van mie, janine

Madelief said...

Hoi Lili,

Wat een origineel idee! Ik ben heel benieuwd wat je ons allemaal gaat laten zien.

Fijne zondag!

Lieve groet, Madelief

La Maison said...

Wat een goed idee van je, ik ben dol op verzamelingen, en soms als ik iets zie, denk ik, O, dat heb ik ook nog.
Ik kijk met spanning uit naar je komende posten.
deze is in ieder geval erg leuk.

Hermine

Lululiz said...

What a brilliant idea, March is going to be a very interesting month!

Abacaxi & Hortelã said...

Wat een geweldig idee Lidwien! ik heb helemaal niks met verzamelen, gooi het liefst alles weg want ik wil ruimte in huis. Manlief heeft daar soms moeite mee! Maar ik vind het des te leuker om zo toch mee te genieten!! Ben benieuwd naar je collectie morgen! Lieve groetjes vanuit Versailles, Chantal

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Lili! First of all, you are a licensed teacher as well! I just renewed both my licenses and so I am good until 2015! Oh my sweet, sweet Lili; you are lucky to have the "time" these days to not have to work. Although I love to work and especially as a French teacher, having the "TIME" to relax and do the fun art projects I would like to do is always a dream of mine! However, I try to incorporate my love of art in my classroom from doing plays, teaching the children how to write and dance and look at life as an inquisitive artist and scientist. You are always welcome into my world or dreams, Lili! I am jealous for my weekends too! I long to have quiet time to NOT CLEAN HOUSE, however I don't mind it, but if it takes up ALL my time, NO! I have been drawing more, and now I am making one of my stories into a handmade book! I am loving the process of making the book. I think finding what it is that we love and plunging into it is so satisfying, but when we have friends and loved ones that will go there with us, all the better. Your friend needs to look to see what a beautiful friend she has in you and at least follow through with her dates with you!!!!! I would go with you to the flea market in a hot minute!!!

You have a wonderful rest of the weekend my sweet friend.

Bisous, Anita

Lori said...

LiLi, i love this idea for blog posts...i could never do it though, i am the world's worst collector...usually when i have acquired three of something...i get tired of it...and move on to the next thing...so you see, i could not get past day three for the most part...i am trying to think if i have more than three of anything...those little sewing cannisters are the cutest things...i don't think i have ever seen those here...i will have to look more closely next time i am out shopping to see if i can spot any...i look forward to seeing all of your collections for the month of march...

lia said...

Oh leuk hoor Lili. En je hebt zulke mooie verzamelingen. Ik kom iedere dag even bij je op visite hoor.
Zelf heb ik niet echte verzamelingen [geloof ik] Zijn er wel veel 31 verzamelingen.

tot morgen dan maar...

Anonymous said...

Yes! that IS a fun idea! Can't wait to see all the collections!
have a great day today LiLi, and I'll be visitng again soon!
xox natalea

Jeanette Nord said...

Lili you are AMAZING! You must have gotten alot of rest on your hols to start such a big project...but oh what a lovely idea! I once saw an alphabet made out of letters from roadsigns, shop signs etc. S from a Starbucks sign....you get the drift right? Well this is a much, much better idea! And I get to know you even better along the way because a collection says so much about the person collecting it !!!!!

Lots of love to you my dear blog friend!
Jeanette

Antonia said...

Wat een superleuk idee LiLi! Ben heel erg benieuwd naar je verzamelingen. Heel hartelijk bedankt voor je tips wat de boeken betreft. Het boek 'Die laatste zomer' staat ook nog op mijn lijstje. Maar daar zijn nu ook al weer veel reserveringen voor. En boeken.... zijn natuurlijk ook een verzameling :-) Tot morgen, groetjes Anja

Anonymous said...

Wat een leuk idee! Ik ga je zeker volgen hoor. Ben heel benieuwd wat je bij de hogere nummers gaat laten zien.

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

How wonderful for you to let us see some of your collections. It's always fascinating to see what others collect. The last coat hanger, I have the same one too from when I was little! It was so strange to see the same one on your blog!

Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Pamela Jane said...

This will be such fun, LiLi! It's always interesting to see what attracts others enough to start a collection, although it does make me wonder what you have 30 of. :)

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I look forward to these posts Lili

Victoria x

Elyse said...

hi lili!

what a fun assignment you have given yourself. this will be such a cool way to document and share your collections, and very interesting reads for your bloggy pals!

xo
elyse

LW said...

Oh what a wonderful idea…
I will be here tomorrow with rings on my fingers and bells on my toes and ready to
See all that you have to share.
This really is a wonderful way to welcome the coming of spring…

Louise

rochambeau said...

"I just love anything mini, that is of good quality".

This is just ONE of the many reasons I love you LiLi!
xox
Constance