Sunday, July 27, 2008

Being a VIP!


Our street in about 1900.
Picture collection Z.

Hi!!

At this moment the largest museum in our town is closed because of a renovation. A lot of artworks are touring around the world. And for us locals there is a small exhibition at the local art center, themed: 'Who do you live?'
No not 'Where do you live' but actually 'Who do you live' as some of our streets have names of artists who lived and or worked in our town. So that is the theme; this is an exhibition of Dordrechts' artist, mostly painters, who had a street named after them. Inhabitants of those streets were all invited (two streets at a time) to come over and have a VIP treatment. And of course my neighbour Z. and I couldn't resist being VIP's for a day!


It all started at the corner where we could take a seat in a hooded cart this afternoon. The horses took off and we were heading towards the art gallery. There we were welcomed and given a cocktail:


The lovely Z. and another neighbour.


A selection of the paintings downstairs, portraits and interiors. We were told why these paintings were deserving a spotlight in the renovated museum, or why not.

Upstairs landscapes. They were all hung with parallel horizons; this way one could see one big horizon. Do try this at home!
After the tour we were given drinks and snacks, which were so good that I forgot to take pictures. I was too busy eating the eel and the French cheese!

This week I felt a VIP too when I received a package from Nicky. One of the sweetest blogging ladies around. Apparently she has studied my July banner closely; this is a shelf in my bathroom with some of my 'things with violets on them' collection (some pansies too, as we dutch all call them violets). Look what she has sent me:

Unbelievable, this is sooo me! You spoiled me Nicky, I still feel like a VIP, every time I look at these beauties. Thanks so much!


Another post card of our street, again around 1900. thanks to the collection of Z. again.
Have a nice weekend! xoxo LiLi

Onze straat in ongeveer 1900. Nog goed herkenbaar. Jammer dat er nu altijd zoveel auto's staan. Mijn buurvrouw Z. verzamelt deze ansichtkaarten en dankzij haar (hopelijk vindt ze het goed) staan ze nu in mijn blog.
Vandaag waren we als Vips uitgenodigd op de tentoonstelling Wie woon je? Een expositie van werken van schilders naar wie een straat genoemd is. Bewoners van die straat worden allemaal uitgenodigd en dan als Vips behandeld. Dat leek Z. en mij ook wel wat, dus vandaag gingen we per huifkar (ook voor ons geregeld) naar de tentoonstelling.
Daar kregen we een welkomstcocktail en daarna een zeer interessante rondleiding; welke werken zouden nog een plaatsje krijgen in het straks gerenoveerde Dordtse Museum? En welke niet en waarom niet? Het was heerlijk! Niet in de laatste plaats vanwege de drankjes en de hapjes. We voelden ons echte Vips!
Datzelfde gevoel had ik van de week toen ik het pakje van Nicky openmaakte en dat heb ik nog als ik naar alles kijk wat ze mij gestuurd heeft. Wat voel ik me toch een bevoorrecht mens om zulke lieve medeblogsters te kennen. Bedankt Nicky!!
Ik wens jullie allemaal een fijn weekend en de vakantie gangers een fijne vakantie!
Groetjes LiLi

27 comments:

Barbara said...

That sounds like a pretty great day. (Except for maybe the eel. Never a big eel eater.) I LOVE that idea with the horizons all even. I guess that's why they run a gallery (and I don't)!

vosgesparis said...

Wat een geweldig initiatief! en het lijkt me ook echt wat voor jou om (compleet met hoed?) in zo'n koetsje plaats te nemen. Volgens mij is jouw fantasie groot genoeg om je helemaal te laten meeslepen in dit evenement. Ik ben overigens blij dat ik dit niet hoef te doen bij mij... want dan stond ik nu koffie te schenken voor de uitbeners en vleesch sjouwers van het 18 eeuwse amsterdam

Splashes of Pink and Mint said...

Wat een heerlijke dag! Zo als een VIP behandeld te worden is natuurlijk wel super-luxe!
En je bent zeker verwend door Nicky, echt mooie spulletjes allemaal. Je banner is trouwens geweldig, wat een mooie verzameling staat er op. Nog een hele fijne zondagavond! (Is het bij jullie ook zo lekker zwoel?)

Anonymous said...

Tuurlijk mag je de kaarten gebruiken. Foto's van mij met de juiste bril en/of met zwijnekop mogen ook steeds worden geplaatst.
Z

Marianne said...

Wat leuk dat ze in jullie museum op deze manier mensen wat meer laten weten over de historie en achtergrond van je eigen straat(naam). En heb je ook gezongen? Samen in een rijtuigie, een rijtuigie?
Groetjes, M

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day! The violet treasures you received are lovely!

Lori said...

LiLi, what a great day!! how fun to get the VIP treatment...i love the idea of hanging the pictures with the continuous horizon, how genius is that? never would have thought of that on my own:) your goodies from Nicky are really sweet, what a nice gesture!!!

Jennifer said...

what a fabulous idea. your community is awesome for being that creative. i'm happy for you that those snacks were too good you forgot to take pictures! not sure how i feel about eel?! :)

jenny

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Wat leuk zeg! A great idea, and how fun to be a VIP. (you already are that to all of us)
Looks like you all had a great time.
xo Lidy

casa nostra said...

wat een leuk idee om de bewoners zo eens in de watten te leggen. zo te lezen hebben jullie erg genoten van deze dag.

LW said...

What fun to be a VIP for the day.
I love how it all started with the horse drawn carriage..

Just wanted you to know I did not forget you and your package will be going out today…

Louise

Lila Rostenberg said...

I can see that you live in a lovely city! Thank-you for the art gallery tour!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

I just love old photographs and always feel the urge to step into the picture and return to those times when life was less frenetic and clothes more elegant!

Michelex

Heather ~Pretty Petals said...

OH what a nice art gallery, I wish I could be there to see. xo heather

rochambeau said...

Dear LiLi,
This post and your banner make me happy! You are a joy! Please tell the lovely Z that she is a beautiful lady, just like you. You are lucky to have one another!

xox
You always brighten my day!
Constance

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Wat een leuke dag moet dat geweest zijn samen met buurvrouw Z.
Heeft volgens mij wel humor wanneer ik haar reactie lees. Dat met die horizon vind ik wel heel apart. Ik kijk altijd uit naar de open monumenten dagen in september. Ik heb op deze manier al heel wat historische gebouwen, grachtenpanden, huizen en boerderijen in ons dorp en in Leiden bezocht die normaal gesproken niet voor publiek geopend zijn. Lekker binnen gluren bij anderen. Een echte aanrader om je dorp/stad eens anders te zien.
Wat heb je weer mooie spulletjes gekregen.
Groetjes Marja

NaturelSuus said...

Leuk initiatief!!
Helemaal leuk als VIP!
Wat een leuk cadeau heb je gekregen van Nicky.

Unknown said...

I just love art museums, and to be treated like a V.I.P. is quite fun. What a wonderful day and to be around all that art must have been so inspiring. Karen

linnea-maria said...

How beautiful paintings! Too pity I dont have a load full of landscape paintings to hang in that nice mode.
I have something to tell. I have come over a load with 3D-cards Im so lucky, they are very old. Have a wonderful week. Hugs /linnea-maria

Natasha Burns said...

Wow what a fantastic VIP experience!!! Hmmm what does eel taste like? is it like fish?

Reflections from the Stone Nest said...

What a wonderful thing to find out about "who do you live". (I think I got that right! LOL!) I love the idea of parallel horizons. What a GREAT idea! I have to do more interesting things, get out a bit more! LOL! You have inspired me! Have a wonderful day!

Kitty

Jeanette said...

hallo lidwien, hoe is het? ik heb alles weer gelezen en ben weer helemaal op de hoogte. super leuk zo`n dag als vip behandel dte worden, en je wordt nog steeds verwent door je medebloggers...leuk om even weer bij je te zijn geweest!
liefs jeanette

marga said...

Wat een leuk initiatief....denk dat jij er wel van hebt genoten om zo in de watten gelegd te worden. Heerlijk toch!!!!!
Wat een leuke spulletjes heb je gekregen van Nicky!!!!

Beth Leintz said...

Did you say EEL?

What a great place to be a VIP- and I love the postcards of the street where you live.

Adla said...

Lili,

Thanks for thinking of me. I am sorry for not visiting as often as I should, the bulging tummy seems to be in the way of me sitting by the pc.

I have so much to catch up on. Love the mantle of your lilac things on your header. You sure have been a busy girl on blog land, all of the swaps sound like fun. I can't wait to see what you come up with for all of them.

Wish I could pack my bags and tag along to Paris...be sure to have a lovely holiday and make sure to take lots of pictures :)

Till we chat next, Adla

María Elena said...

Lili, these was a pretty experience. The antique photos are wonderful, and the gift received is beatiful. Hugs.

Anita said...

Dearest LiLi!

Thanks a lot for your (fast) comment on my new blog post! And thanks for your hint on that unknown plant, I'll have a closer look at that name later on!

Oh, and sorry for not having answered on your mail (with your address), yet, it's just due to a lack of time! The sweet pea seeds are almost dry enough to send them off... and by the way, I'll include some of the poppy seeds, too!

My garden is keeping me busy this evening - time for watering all the flowers!

So you are participating in "Show your form" tomorrow, too? I already admired Carol's form on flickr, it's so pretty! I just wish I had more time for being creative these days!

Groetjes uit Duitsland!
Anita